Latest Standard Loft
Latest standers of the loft insulation
Loft Insulation is a primary measure in latest building industry. Lofts start insulating around 30 years ago therefore, we can find different insulation thickness in different buildings. The old Building may have insulation 12mm, 25mm, 50mm, 100mm thickness.
However, new building may benefit from 350mm, 400mm insulation thickness. In addition to that traditional building’s insulation thickness increased 270mm. Most of the loft has 100mm insulation thickness between joist and 170mm thickness cross layer brings insulation thickness 270mm.
Loft insulation UK is a mandatory and exceptionally low costing energy saving measure than other measures. Most of the properties in the UK has loft in their houses. So, laying the correct standard of insulation, properties can save considerable amount of energy to their properties.
There are many types of insulation materials in the market and most common loft insulation products are glass mineral wool, rock wool and sheep wool. Most of the properties in the UK has glass mineral wool insulated in their lofts and rock wool use when come to fire protection and sheep wool use for more on old tradition properties for breathable purpose.
Latest standard of the loft insulation is 270mm and normally laying 270mm as 100mm between joist and 170mm top layer against to the joist on top of the 100mm layer. This could be DIY job but need to carefully with ceiling. If some one doing any work in the loft they need to walk or stand on only joist. If they step in ceiling, they may break the ceiling and if they fall through this could be a death or serious injury so, if required your nearest loft insulation installers UK, you can find them by filling our installers finding form.
As loft insulation measure is low cost and easy to install measure most of the house owners giving priority of that but do, we insulate it in correct standard? And what is the loft insulation cost? Some of the properties has no loft insulation or some insulation such as 25mm, 50mm or 100mm loft insulation but stander of the loft insulation is 270mm and new build properties we can find up to 350mm – 400mm thickness and cost is depend on material use, thickness of loft insulation, area you need to insulate, and insulation done by tradesman or diy job. Typical 3-bedroom semi-detached property with glass mineral wool will with trades man £400-£500 and DIY job £200 – £300.
Benefit of Loft Insulation
- Save money from your energy bills.
- Increase your home’s Energy Performance rating and reduce your carbon footprint.
- You might see an increase in your property’s value.
- Your home will be warmer in winter and cooler in the summer.
What you need to know when you are doing DIY Loft Insulation Project
Loft Insulation Installers
- Personal protections
- Make sure not blocked any ventilation (pre and post insulation)
- No leak from roof
- should walk on joist, use crawling board screw to the joist while working
- Check and identify cables (some cables are high voltage cables; those may melt if it covered from insulation)
- Please check if there are any downlights. If it is advisable to cover those from fire rated downlight caps. If you don’t put insulation over the downlight you may keep 50mm gap around the downlight but that may lose your heating and also often you can find fire rated downlights, still we recommend you to cover those downlights with fire rated caps as some by mistake change any of those fire rated downlights to normal downlights it may cause fire.
- Pipe insulation and tank insulation jacket helps some energy savings and protect freezing from winter months.
loftleg loft boarding system is very popular loft boarding system for new build and traditional property with latest standard loft insulation. according to system designer this system not invalid new build warranty and system designer been contacted NHBC for that.
How to insulate my loft up to the standard
if you planning to do your DIY loft insulation project please find the Video and visit our store for products or find installer they will complete your project start to finish.